Tuesday, August 7, 2007

First Post!

This blog turned out to be a little longer than I first expected, so I decided to break it into parts.

Introduction

Hey, for all those that still care about Global RP, here's where you can now catch the latest on the mod. You can expect me to post something here much more often than on the website, so feel free to check back regularly.

I know, I know, we have a beautiful website, why not use that? Well, because truthfully, I haven't heard from Chris (the web designer) in about 2 months, and I can't edit it.

Progress Update

So, heres where the mod stands. The past couple of days, i've been working on the SENT spaceships. I have somewhat of a base down, but not really. Every time I code something, it turns out beautifully, then the whole ship just spazzes out. I just think that Half-Life 2 was not designed for things like this, i'm pretty much giving up hope (which doesn't happen often).

Now, don't get me wrong. The way that I was approaching it is practically hopeless. My ship was 100% custom, no hoverballs, no thrusters, no anything. I just think that if this is going to happen, it's going to require hoverballs. Which then gets down to the point of why not simply having a saver/loader built in, that way it won't require knowledge of lua.

Me Whining

From where I stand now, thats where i'd like to head the project. However, if you have a grasp on lua and would like to give a shot at it, please, be my guest. Or, maybe you'd like to make a larger commitment? So far, "our team" consists of me, an lua coder.

Being part of "our team" simply would mean I might ask you to do something every now and then, nothing entirely time consuming (I usually deal with those tasks myself). All that I am saying is that it might be nice to have another coder to help me out every now and then.

What Next?

So, now what am I going to work on next? I have absolutely no idea. This whole ships thing basically backfired. This whole galatic police deal isn't exactly thought out very well, and theres no point to drugs without policemen to enforce them. I suppose that leaves me with implementing a save/load system? But why? Advance duplicator seems to work fine for that sort of thing. Do I really need to build it into Global RP?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Well im not too down about the drugs and police not working out. Although, I was looking forward to the thought of conquering planets for your faction and eventually all of them and winning. I made a post about this on the request thread but no one really seemed to reply much. What I was thinking you could do is put some strategic point(s) on the planets which could be captured by a player(s) by standing in it for a certain ammount of time or building something there. If you did around 3 per planet and a faction captured all those points they would in turn capture the whole planet for their faction. Home planets would be uncapturable or neutral for the purpose of spawning until all planets were owned by one faction. Then the opposite faction's home planet could be captured. If that happened the game would end, restart, or whatever. This is just and idea to spice up the gamemode a bit because it, in my opinion and some others, is getting kind of dull with only the small (but important) updates you'v been releasing.

Anonymous said...

You are not right. I can defend the position. Write to me in PM, we will talk.

Anonymous said...

What words... super, a magnificent phrase