Saturday, December 6, 2008

Progress Update

No new version yet, just posting to keep you guys in the loop on what i've been doing and some information on the status of Global RP.

Sorry its been a while, but i've sort of taken a little bit of a break from Global RP, which is due to my new computer. I've been thinking of getting a new computer for quite some time now, so two weeks ago I ordered a bunch of parts from newegg.

Dear diary, look how awesome I am

Last weekend I put it together (first time building my own computer) and since then i've just kinda been monkeying around with it. I've had a little bit of trouble getting it to work (at first I almost broke the motherboard by screwing in all the mounting screws to the case, which caused it to bend the motherboard). The problem thats cost me the most time has been windows, however, I hate microsoft. Aparrantly microsoft has different versions of their OS; OEM, upgrade, and full version. I'm not going to get into explaining what the differences between them all are (google is great for that) but it turns out I had an OEM version and it wouldn't let me use that on my new computer.

So, since i'm so awesome, I stuck my middle finger up to microsoft and installed linux. Linux is awesome, but theres only 1 problem with it. Nobody fucking makes software for linux! Steam games don't work on linux (excluding Wine, which I spent countless hours getting to work, and it only somewhat works. I can't get my beloved Left 4 Dead to work on it, otherwise I would be using Linux right now).

So I switched back to windows. But, like I mentioned before, I'm awesome and I found a way to get around their bullshit activation software that wants me to buy a new version of windows. I'm not going to say how I did it on here, because I don't want to get in trouble, but it was pretty badass, and I actually wrote my own c++ software to assist me =D.

My new computer alltogether cost me $378.43 (I took some parts from my old computer, like hard drives and a DVD reader), and is ultimately badass (excluding my god damn OS problem):
MSI DKA790GX Motherboard
AMD Phenom 9950 2.6GHz Quad-Core Black Edition Processor
Thermaltake Purepower 600 Watt Power Supply
Thermaltake M9 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) Memory

Global RP Related

I haven't done any work on Global RP in the past 2 weeks, but before I started messing around with linux and building a new computer I got some work done. All i'm doing is reporting that work. Heres my todo list:

-make materials optional
-respawn rocks on other planets (LuckyToShoot)
-default adv dup ships

***Done***
-bug fixes
-fixed money exploit
-costs added to toolguns in spawnmenu
-friendly fire settings now applys to props too
-fixed gcombat destroying worldspawn transformers
-weapons now purchased via spawnmenu



Click on the images to get a better view.

So as you can see, i'm still in the process of making default menus, however i've changed the way weapons are purchased, for all players. Weapons are now purchased via the spawnmenu. I've edited the spawnmenu to list (and correctly charge players) the weapons I want in the way I want it to, and i'm actually pretty pleased with it. The only thing is that I couldn't find any appropriate icons for the equipment, and I don't really want to include images for them (forcing new players to have to wait while they download them), but we'll see what happens. Maybe i'll include images in the content package.

Another addition I made to the spawnmenu: costs are now added for most toolguns in the toolguns list. If you click on the images you should be able to see what I mean more clearly. However I wasn't able to include prices for all of the stools, because some of the stools spawn more than one entity. (such as the gcombat stool, and the lifesupport stools) Maybe i'll figure out a way to do that later (probably not till after I release this version).



So, as you can see i've made some pretty good progress, but i've still got some more work to do. I plan on starting when I can, but it might be a little tough this weekend. Todays (saturday) already shot, and tomorrow i've got to work on applying to college and other chores but I promise i'll get some work done sometime soon.

Q&A

Somebody asked me on my last post:

I was wondering if you had any plans for GRP using spacebuild 3. Since most people have switched over to sb3 and sb3 is incompatible with sb2...you might see a boost in players, and possibly a revival of GRP.

While I agree with this, I am extremely resistant to upgrade Global RP to the new spacebuild until its offical release.

Server Info

Looks like we've got another official server, big thanks to Masada.





Don't be afraid to post comments and feedback, its always appreciated.

No comments: